Prayers for February 2020
Week beginning 2nd February 2020
Pray for the world
• Lent 2020 starts at the end of this month At this time of year, we are all called to listen and respond to God’s calling of each one of us in humility and repentance, so that Christ’s death and resurrection at the end of Lent can bring the renewal, response and reconciliation we so long for.
• 4th February is World Cancer Day. Give thanks for the dedication of the nurses, doctors and hospital staff dealing with patients every day. Help them care with compassion as they do their job. Pray for the patients as they face the unknown journey ahead of them, comfort them, fill them with Your peace. Ask for strength for the families and friends who support them each day.
Water is constantly moving around the earth from land and sea to air, and then from clouds back to earth as rain. God created and continues to create this cycle of water, which is an amazing feature of our world. Although fresh water covers less than 1% of the earth’s surface, we depend on it for our survival. It also provides the habitat for 10% of the world’s known species.
The demand for water around the world is expected to rise by up to 50% by 2050. By conserving water we acknowledge that water is sacred – a gift from God. Doing this will not only help us survive but protect our landscapes and wildlife.
I heard the voice of Jesus say, “Behold, I freely give
the living water; thirsty one, stoop down and drink, and live.”
I came to Jesus, and I drank of that life-giving stream;
my thirst was quenched, my soul revived,
and now I live in him.
From “I heard the voice of Jesus say”, by Horatius Bonar (1808-1889)
Week beginning 9th February 2020
Text for February 2020
This is the message we have heard from Him and proclaim to you, that God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all.” 1 John 1:5
Pray for our country
• Fairtrade fortnight starts on Monday 24th February. Give thanks to God for the thousands of individuals, companies and groups across the United Kingdom who will come together during this two weeks and share the stories of the people who grow our food and drinks and who grow the cotton in our clothes. Pray for an end to these people being exploited and underpaid. May there be continued prayer to raise their profile and to ensure eventually all farmers are paid fairly for their work and are able to earn a living income.
• Pray for all people impacted by the threat of the new Coronavirus. Give thanks for the scientists and clinicians working hard to minimise the threat the virus brings.
• Loving God, the sunlight woke us from the darkness of night to a new dawn, thank You for the light of the risen Son which brightens our spirits and warms our hearts. Lord Jesus, You are the light of the world whose perfect love drives away all fear. There is no darkness at all in You. With confidence we place our trust in You. You are the anchor that holds us firmly to hope and to fullness of life in God’s Kingdom. For all the ways You have sought to guide us we thank You – the kindness of others, the love of friends and family, the support of teachers and men-tors. Your words in the Bible that show us the way to go, the presence of Your Holy Spirit in our lives. Bid us glow and shine with Christ’s light. Wherever we are may the hope, love and life that Jesus offers grow, in this world, where You call us to witness to Your love. Amen
Week beginning 16th February 2020
Pray for our church
• Craft and Chat ladies meet on 5th February. Give thanks for the relaxed friendliness and support within the group as the women continue to donate knitted and crochet items to a variety of charities.
• Most Friday afternoons BUSY run a youth group in our church hall. Give thanks for Hannah and the volunteers as they strive to provide suitable and interesting ventures for the young people attending. Pray more volunteers may come forward to help sustain this project. Give thanks for the management team, small in number, yet committed to the work of the project. Pray also for a successful funding application to enable the project to continue beyond the summer
• Cuppa and Chat meet this month. Give thanks for the warm welcome people receive and the time spent together. May God bless everyone involved in this outreach.
• Kirk Session meet this month. Ask God to guide Ian and the elders in their decision making and to ensure the direction taken is the best for our church and community.
• Give thanks for the Unitary Constitution Teams, for the leaders within the teams and for everyone who is playing a part in our church life.
• Thank God for those people who clean the church
building every week, for the time they happily give up to
serve in this way.
Week beginning 23rd February 2020
• Give thanks for the willingness of the staff at Broxburn Academy who are organising the annual mission trip to Romania (Project Romania) Evie Maxwell has applied and been chosen to be part of the team this summer. Pray she will enjoy the activities and information sharing which will take part from now until the party go to Romania in June.
• The Rainbows and Guides meet in our hall on Monday evenings. Pray they feel welcome here. Give thanks for Hazel McPake and the other leaders who freely give of their time each week to ensure the girls enjoy their evenings together in a safe environment where they feel valued and cared for.
• World Thinking Day is on 22nd February. World Thinking Day remains one of the most important dates in the guiding calendar, and every year the theme of the event encourages members to think about the big issues affecting them and their global community. The theme for 2020 is Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Pray girls and leaders can explore this theme together and better understand the part they can play in unpacking/ implementing these values.
• A congregational lunch will be held on 23rd February after the All Age Service. Give thanks we can provide this opportunity to raise funds to help Evie Maxwell as she goes on a mission trip to Romania in June with other young people from Broxburn Academy
David Cameron - Prayer Secretary