In the Life of Uphall South Parish Church of Scotland
7 January 1894 Free Church Mission Hall dedicated.
6 January 1897 Free Church Mission erected into a Preaching Station, along with transfer of members from Broxburn Free Church and United Presbyterian Church.
30 May 1898 Sanctioned as a Full Charge Congregation by the Free Church Assembly. Named Uphall Free Church. Our church records also show Uphall Free Church(United).
2 August 1898 Rev George Millar ordained and inducted as the first minister.
1900 At the Union of the Free Church and United Presbyterian Church, our name changed to Uphall United Free Church or Uphall U.F. Church.
1902 Fortneuk Manse, 8 Fortneuk Road, Uphall completed.
1914 Following a Linlithgow United Free Church Presbytery visitation, the delegates reported the necessity for a small hall to hold meetings. Meeting Room added (Auld Kitchen)
3 September 1923 At a congregational meeting, the congregation approved the plans for a new church building.
10 June 1926 New Church dedicated by the Right Rev. G.H. Morrison, D.D., Moderator of the General Assembly of the Free Church. Old Church now used as the Church Hall.
1929 At the Union of the United Free Church and Church of Scotland, our church name changed once more, to be known as Uphall South Parish Church of Scotland.
1939 - 1945 Church opens daily for prayer. Hall made ready to be used as a First Aid Post in case of a National Emergency.
May 1944 First use of individual communion cups
1944 Pipe organ refurbished and fitted.
1945 General Assembly asked for the opinion of Kirk Sessions and congregations whether women should be ordained as elders. U.S. Kirk Session approved the idea of women elders, the congregation voted against!
1975 Miss Lena Brownlie and Mrs Jean Denholm ordained as the first women elders.
1983 Bad weather results in the ornamental cross falling off the roof of the church.
1983 New manse bought at 8 McLardy Court, Uphall.
Late 80's, Early 90s Numbers attending start to dwindle.
1990 Prayer Group begins.
1992 - 1994 A mood of hope in the congregation when our Lord sent Rev. Ewing Smith as Interim Moderator and Rev. Dr James Maitland as locum. Numbers attending start to increase. Rev Walter Ritchie inducted Sept. 1994 on a 5 year terminable tenure.
1994 New manse bought at 8 Fernlea, Uphall.
1996 Presbytery Quinquennial Visitation reports spiritual growth in the Church. Positive features include children's participation increasing in church life, a Prayer Group, House Groups, a new Promotions Committee and regular issue of written intimations.
2000 Refurbishment of Fernlea Manse.
2004 New digital piano bought.
2008 Loop system fitted in church to help hearing impaired.
2008 Extension to Church Hall. Building works include: new kitchen, meeting room, toilets, removal of stage, new hall floor, disabled access and parking and the Boiler House demolished,
Mrs Nan Thomson and Mr Robert Russell open the new extension.
August 2012 Plans passed for extension to Fernlea Manse.
18 February 2018 A new step in our journey as the Unitary Constitution is launched. It used to be that every Church of Scotland congregation was encouraged to have a way of working using a Kirk Session and a Deacons' Court/Congregational Board. Uphall South operated in this way for many years. Recognising this model did not always suit congregations, a different model was introduced at the General Assembly in 2003. Under a Unitary Constitution, everything is governed by the Kirk Session.
2019 A legacy left by Mr Robert Russell enabled an access ramp built at the front of the church.
Plans for the future: Changes to the interior of the church to make the building more usable.