Prayer Focus May 2021
Bible text Deuteromony 31: 6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you.”
• Loving God, we thank You for coming alongside us when we are most in need. Thank You for always being there for us to turn to. We are ever grateful to You, our refuge and strength, present in times of trouble. Thank You for taking away our fear, for Your power and wisdom to guide and reassure us.. When we cry for help, You will answer. Remind us Lord that You are always with us, You will never leave or forsake us. Amen.
• We give You thanks, Lord, for each new day. We give You thanks as the Creator and giver of life. We give you thanks for the people who enrich our lives as they too are gifts from You. Lord, in a world where many are isolated we bring to You those for whom friendship and love are niceties they don't have. We hold before You those people fleeing their native countries and seeking a safer place. We pray for the governments of each nation of Your world, may they know Your wisdom and seek to bring peace and justice above all things. We bring before You all who grieve and we think particularly at this time of the British Royal Family and of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, whose loss after many years of marriage is great. Give Your peace and comfort to all who are mourning at this time. Amen
As 4th, 5th and 6th year students at Broxburn Academy take part in holistic assessments along with continuous appraisal of their work (instead of sitting SQA exams at this time of year) we give thanks for the dedication of teachers who deliver and mark the set tasks. We ask Your blessing on all the students as they strive to produce their best efforts at this time.
• Christian Aid week is from 10th –16th May this year.
.Everyone is equal in the sight of God is a truth that has
inspired Christian Aid workers for over 75 years.
Pray for this continuing solidarity and desire to stand with our most marginalised global neighbours.
• World Fair Trade day is on the 8th May. May we give thanks and celebrate the contributions to the fight against poverty, exploitation and climate change this organisation is trying to make. Pray for the thousands of people being poorly paid and currently working in unfavourable conditions in Your world.
• Foster Care Fortnight UK 2021 is from 10th -23rd May and the theme is #WhyWeCare. Pray the wider society will both understand and value fostering and the positive difference it can make to young people’s lives.
• Loving Lord, be in the hearts and lives of all those who are suffering. Send healing to those who are enduring pain and value to people who feel disregarded. Grant joy to those in great sorrow and hope to those who feel they now have nothing to live for. Provide food for the hungry, shelter to the homeless and community to those who are lonely.
Bible text Colossians 3:17 - And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
• This year The Church of Scotland General Assembly starts on 22nd May and will be held online for a second year. We pray for all commissioners and other attendees joining together remotely from across Scotland and around the world. May they feel God’s presence with them from the opening ceremony to the closing worship.
Give thanks for Prince William, the Lord High Commissioner to the 2021 General Assembly. Pray he feels at ease and confident as he carries out his role to maintain the relationship between the State and the Church.
Give thanks for Rt Rev Dr Martin Fair as he completes his term of office and ask God to bless him for all he achieved during his time.
Pray for The Rt Hon Lord Wallace of Tankerness QC, Jim Wallace, as he begins his year-long role of ambassador for the Church of Scotland. As He acts as an ambassador for the Church of Scotland during this year may he enjoy the opportunities to share the gospel and God’s love with everyone he meets.
Give thanks for Ian, our minister, and David Cameron who are representing Uphall South Church at this event. Ask God to help make them feel part of the proceedings as they listen to the debates and respond with knowledge and discernment.
As the General Assembly will again be live streamed where those who are not commissioners can view the proceedings we pray those choosing to observe will gain an understanding of procedures and policies.
Bible text "1 Chronicles 16:34 Give thanks to the Lord for He is good; His love endures forever.
• Thank God for the evident kindness and generosity of people connected to Uphall South Church for the recent prayers and donations to help Sunday Stars and Sunday Club maintain the sponsorship of Robinah.
• We pray for the safety from Covid 19 for all people using the designated buildings to vote in the Scottish Parliament election.
• Pray for Kirk Session who meet this month. May they feel God’s guiding presence as church matters are discussed.
• Pray for the members of the Different Voices team in our church who are organising and leading an online Pentecost Praise service on 23rd May at 7pm om behalf of the Council of Churches.
• Thank God for the continued rolling out of the inoculation programme against Covid 19 in United Kingdom, for the supplies of the various vaccines and for all those involved in every stage of the scheme.
• Father, thank You for Your incomparable kindness, never ending forgiveness and relentless generosity to us.
Thank You for being tenaciously at work for our good in all things: in the things that thrill us and the thing that annoy us; in the wounds that still hurt us and the failures still haunting us; in the unexpected gifts and countless favour.
Grant us the strength and encourage our hearts so we may bless others as You have blessed us. Thank You for giving us Your Word and Your Son, our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen
Compiled by Morag Cameron: